European Championship Interview | The Irish Duelist

European Championship Interview

After my exploits in Amsterdam this Summer, I was asked to do an interview for a Czech Yu-Gi-Oh! site about the event and how I got on. The original interview can be found here. Please note that it was done over an MSN conversation so the sentences may seem a little broken up.




--
[CC]
Good day PJ, could you intruduce yourself for our readers ?
--
[PJ]
Sure. I'm PJ Tierney, (username PJ on various forums), an Irish player who plays with team Feckin'YuGiOh. Been playing sunce about december 2006

--
[CC]
What was the main reason for you to start playing Yu-Gi-Oh! ?
--
[PJ]
Well, back when the anime started my cousins were playing with the 2 starter decks. I saw the Kaiba one and Blue-Eyes looked so cool. I stopped for 2 years then..

--
[CC]
Why did you stop ?
--
[PJ]
My cousins stopped playing, and there was nobody to play against. I was only playing casual games as I wasn't living in a city and didn't know of tournaments. Then I went to Art College. And saw this comic store, The Gathering, in Limerick. I went in and asked about selling some old cards I had and they told me that there was an event on the saturday. I went in and played with thye only thying I had: A Summonned Skull deck.

--
[CC]
So you were crushed i suppose ?
--
[PJ]
Yeah, there were some really good players (who have left the game) when I started. They were all playing Monarchs and whatever was big at the time. I got hammerred by Stein for 2 weeks and then it got banned.

--
[CC]
So you just went there and started playing regulery ?
--
[PJ]
Yeah, pretty much. Kevin M. was the big player there at the time and he told me to go out and get the Warrior Structure. I got it and played with it for a month until the Gadget deck came out. Bought 3 of that and ran Gadgets for 6 weeks. Then a Regionals came up and my 'rise to fame' started there.

--
[CC]
Were there some "strange" reason why were you playing or it was just fun ?
--
[PJ]
It was fun at first, but then I saw how competitve the game was. I signed up to Pojo and started reading articles on Metagame. After seeing some Shonen Jumps I was like 'Wow, this game's like a sport'. I was always competitive and YuGiOh fitted in poerfectly with my lifestyle.

--
[CC]
Yeah, my reason was the same. I just like how competitive this game is. I think we can finally get to the European Championship. Did you enter such a big tournament before ?
--
[PJ]
Euros was the biggest event I ever played in, and by far the toughest, but I did have another big event in January, the Pharoah Tour Finals in Manchester, England. Myself and the rest of the irish went over and wanted to make some sort of impact. I was running Perfect Circle at the time, as was Ireland's #1 Stephen Lynam. There was an event at FanBoy 3 the day before which we used for testing and both of our decks bombed. But we saw that Peps (username at pojo.biz) was killing everybody with a really cool Gadget deck so myself and Lynam went back to the hotel at 12am and netted it. Lynam had all the cards (D-Prison and Soul Taker) while I had to trade like a madman at registration. I ended up giving away a Necroface for half the deck.

--
[CC]
So you decided to play Gadgets again ? How did it went ?
--
[PJ]
It worked really well, countering everything. I had great matchups and went 7-2 and finished 10th. Then...Paul Doherty, a UK player (Hi paul ) went to SJC Orlando and ran the deck. He made it to Top16. Peps was like 'Yeah, I broke the game.

--
[CC]
So you runned Gadgets during that time. What were you running at EC'08 ?
--
[PJ]
I was going to run DaD, but couldn't find the right build. I was testing out so many different things with the rest of Team FeckinYuiGiOh and nothing was working.So I went to the main evenue on Day 1 with no deck! I walked around for a bit and met a few UK players and bumped into Luke Lennard, he's the UK kid who has SJC prize cards. Good player with a lot of potential. He showed me his list and I was like 'Uhh.. I don't have Gold Sarco or Doomcaliber', so I made a few changes and registered with 2 minutes left on the clock. One sec I'll get the list : There it is, after Day 1, in 4th place. It's in German, but their site is really good regardless.

--
[CC]
So i if get it. You "took" his deck and played with it ?
--
[PJ]
Pretty much. I liked the look of it, but I had no time so I said 'screw it I'll go with this'. He went 5-1 on Day 1 with it too, good deck, good kid.

--
[CC]
I think it was a good choice. 7:0 is a nice result. But something went wrong during the second day. What was that ?
--
[PJ]
Round 8 I played against David Dursun (he ended up qualifying for Worlds). We got deckchecked and I got a little nervous. I was checked the day before and the judges thought I was stacking. But everything was okay now. I win Game 1 then in Game 2 I have the upper hand. He made an illegal play (he played Torrential after Armageddon Knight resolved) and I let it go by mistake. He then summonns 2 DaD and I activate Threatening Roar, but in the heat of the moment I also scooped Game 2 on that turn. Game 3 he just plays really well and beats me. He's a good player though, and the TT thing looked like a mistake. I hope he does well at Worlds.

--
[CC]
So you went went down after one mistake ? You ended up not-qualified, but still in a nice place.
--
[PJ]
Yeah, after that game I was a little edgy. And next round I got paired against Glad Beasts. I hate playing against them as I can't handle them. I lost that and then got to play DaD again Round. That game went to time. I make a play for game and he hits me with Rainbow Life. So I couldn't make it up.. Round 11, I play against another DaD (German player) and it goes to time again. After losing Round 11, Ali.(my opponent) said that I made a misplay that cost me the game. Vittorio (Wiktor) was beside him and he said that I need to learn to concentrate more. I ran the numbers last night and even if I made the right play I'd be 100LP short so it didn't matter.

--
[CC]
So you ended during round 12 in which place ?
--
[PJ]
I was in 31st going into Round Played against Noel Garde from France (GB), nice guy, good player, but I lost that game and ended in 40th.

--
[CC]
Did you get some special prize or just coin and a mat ?
--
[PJ]
I got the Coin, and the Mat (I have to say well done to UDE Europe on getting the mats, I know they worked really hard to get them) and some boosters. What I really gained though was experience.

--
[CC]
So you particulary liked the whole event ?
--
[PJ]
Yeah, it was a lot of fun.

--
[CC]
Are you going to surpass the best Yu-Gi-Oh! players in the world ?
--
[PJ]
My ego already has [laughs], but seriously, I still have a lot to learn. At Euros I proved that I can beat the best, but I just need a few more big events under my belt before I can take a big title.

--
[CC]
Can you get to the Worlds next year ?
--
[PJ]
Too early to say. It's really hard. Every round is like the finals of an SJC, it feels that difficult. I'd like to think that I can qualify, but as long as I'm in the running going into the final rounds I'm happy.

--
[CC]
Would you like to tell our readers some more ?
--
[PJ]
Yeah, the most important thing is to enjoy this game. Yeah, I was playing some games really seriously, but that's just me. I enjoy this level of play. But there were some moves that made me laugh out loud in front of everybody. David Dursun hitting me with Ceasefire when he has a full field was epic. But overall, the game's meant to be fun. I enjoy every second of it. Can i give some shoutouts?

--
[CC]
Of course, do as you wish.
--
[PJ]
Just want to say hi and thanks to Team Feckin'YuGiOh, everybody at my locals (The Gathering, Limerick, Ireland), the people on various forums and everybody who wished me luck. Oh, and Luke Lennard for giving me a decklist. Without all you guys I wouldn't be the player I am today or will be in the future.

--
[CC]
Thank you for this interview PJ. I wish you good luck at all events and hope to see you next year at EC'09.
--
[PJ]
Thanks mate, it's nice to be seen as 'famous' enough to get an interview. I'll see everybody at PTF and EC 09.


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us