[Cork] Local Qualifier | The Irish Duelist

[Cork] Local Qualifier

_____________________________________________________________________
Date: Sunday, March 8, 2009
Tournament Format: Swiss (5 Rounds) + Top 8 Play-Off
Number of Players: 20
Location: Victoria Hotel, Cork


Standings after Swiss
[4-1] 1st: Aaron McInerney (Dark Synchro)
[4-1] 2nd: Alex Hayes (Gladiator Beasts)
[4-1] 3rd: David Duggan (Apprentice Monarch)
[4-1] 4th: Seamus Allen (Stun)
[3-2] 5th: Kevin Wong (Dark Control)
[3-2] 6th: PJ Tierney (Lightsworn)
[3-2] 7th: Thomas Sheehan (Aggro Monarch)
[3-2] 8th: Brian Allen (Gladiator Beasts)

Play-Offs
Brian Allen [defeated] Aaron McInerney
Kevin Wong [defeated] Seamus Allen
Alex Hayes [defeated] Thomas Sheehan
PJ Tierney [defeated] David Duggan

PJ Tierney [defeated] Alex Hayes
Kevin Wong [defeated] Brian Allen

PJ Tierney [defeated] Kevin Wong


Round-by-round
[2-0] Round 1: vs Brian Allen (Gladiator Beasts)
[2-1] Round 2: vs Mark Sheehan (Apprentice Monarch)
[2-1] Round 3: vs Kevin Wong (Dark Control)
[0-2] Round 4: vs Seamus Allen (Stun)
[1-2] Round 5: vs Thomas Sheehan (Aggro Monarch)
[2-1] Quarter Final: vs David Duggan (Apprentice Monarch)
[2-1] Semi Final: vs Alex Hayes (Gladiator Beasts)
[2-0] Final: vs Kevin Wong (Dark Control)


Thoughts
My first National Qualifier of the year and I secured my invite, that makes the next month or so a lot less stressful to say the least. This was one of the toughest Cork events in a long time. Everybody brought their 'A-Game' and a vast improvement in card pool (there were 6 Crush Card Viruses at the event, a Cork record) meant that no single player was guaranteed the solitary National Championship invite that was on offer.

I decided to go with Lightsworn for the event, as I had been running the deck for 3 weeks now and had gone undefeated in the process. The deck did what it did (played fast and aggressive, while also making big swings in play at the flick of a switch) and I was pretty happy with it in general. As for my losses, I couldn't really do anything in Round 4. He opens with Banisher of the Radiance in Game 1 and I can't get over it, Game 2 it's a combination of Thunder King Rai-Oh and Royal Oppression that locks me out. Round 5 was just awkward, I didn't draw the right hands at the right time and took a bit of a beating because of it. I put up a fight though and stuck it out to the (literally) very last card in my deck.

That's also how I won a game in Round 3. I had about 5 cards left in my deck and 3 Lightsworn on the field. I needed to do about 7,000 damage before decking out. There was still a Judgment Dragon and a Monster Reincarnation in the deck that I didn't want to mill, so I synchro summoned Red Dragon Archfiend and cleared my field of any milling. His deck suddenly decides to stop drawing monsters so I abuse Phantom of Chaos as much as I can to clear his field before dropping the inevitable Judgment Dragon. Same thing won me the final 2 hours later.

Overall I'm happy with how I played, I'm happy with how my deck performed, given the inherent consistencies that Lightsworn can have and I'm glad I don't have to panic the Saturday before every tournament this month about earning an invite.


Decklist
Monsters: 26
2 Judgment Dragon
1 Dark Armed Dragon
1 Chaos Sorceror
3 Lumina, Lightsworn Summoner
2 Garoth, Lightsworn Warrior
2 Lyla, Lightsworn Sorceress
2 Celestia, Lightsworn Angel
2 Wulf, Lightsworn Beast
1 Aurkus, Lightsworn Druid
1 Jain, Lightsworn Paladin
1 Ryko, Lightsworn Hunter
3 Necro Gardna
3 Honest
1 Plaguespreader Zombie
1 Phantom of Chaos

Spells: 10
3 Charge of the Light Brigade
3 Solar Recharge
2 Monster Reincarnation
1 Monster Reborn
1 Heavy Storm

Traps: 5
3 Threatening Roar
1 Beckoning Light
1 Crush Card Virus

Side Deck: 15
3 Royal Decree
2 Ryko, Lightsworn Hunter
2 Ehren, Lightsworn Monk
2 Aurkus, Lightsworn Druid
1 Lyla, Lightsworn Sorceress
1 Celestia, Lightsworn Angel
1 Breaker the Magical Warrior
1 Phantom of Chaos
1 Mystical Space Typhoon
1 Giant Trunade

*Extra deck is your 'standard' 15*

Towards the end of February, Stranger posted a deck on DuelistGroundz that I was quite interested in. Once I saw the deck I built my own version, which hasn't really changed since I initially put it together. I also kept track of the thread and took whatever beneficial information I could from it, as well as posting my findings and test results.

The deck plays out like a standard Lightsworn deck; beat the opponent down while setting up for a big finish (Judgment Dragon). The addition of Chaos Sorcerer was pretty obvious and Dark Armed Dragon was added as an alternate 'game ender' to Judgment Dragon. Phantom of Chaos is in there to abuse either Dragon, as well as anything that I need to take control of the game at any stage. All of the Dark Monsters outside of Dark Armed/Sorcerer are <1,000ATK also, which makes Crush Card Virus a live card if I draw it most of the time. Other than that there's nothing too special about the deck, it's just really solid.

Aurkus, Lightsworn Druid is an incredible card in this format, and if backed up by Royal Decree and/or Honest/Necro Gardna it can't really be stopped. Your opponent cannot target any of your monsters, which causes a lot of problems for most Gladiator Beast and Monarch decks. It's also a safe way to set yourself up for Celestia, Lightsworn Angel which can wreck players if played correctly. Celestia combines very nicely with the newly-limited Plaguespreader Zombie to create an alternative win condition: Dark Strike Fighter. If you add the Fighter's effect on to a successful swarm attack, you can usually deal about 8,000 points of damage in a single turn.

I'm very happy with this deck. It plays to my strengths (instinct and aggression), is very solid and has multiple ways to win. Now that I don't have to worry about hiding it from the opposition (and the fact that come Nationals, I'll be running something different anyway) I thought I might as well share it for anybody that's interested. Feel free to give it a go and share your thoughts.

-PJ


[FeckinYuGiOh] [UkayPro] [DuelistGroundz] [Pojo]
_____________________________________________________________________