UkayPro Championship Report | The Irish Duelist

UkayPro Championship Report

_____________________________________________________________________
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

================================
Contents
================================

For those that read my European Championship report you already know the drill, for those that didn't press CTRL+F (CMD+F on Mac) and type in the code inside the brackets (hitting Enter twice) to skip to the relevant chapter. I promise this report won't be as long as the 12,000 word marathon I did for 'Euros' (it rounds out at 6,300) so you might be able to digest the whole thing in a single sitting.

[PRLG] Prologue
[CRSS] Crossing the Irish Sea
[FNB3] FanBoy 3
[TNBF] The Night Before
[RGST] Registration
[RND1] Round 1
[RND2] Round 2
[RND3] Round 3
[RND4] Round 4
[RND5] Round 5
[RND6] Round 6
[RND7] Round 7
[RND8] Round 8
[PLOF] The Playoffs
[HNGO] Hang-out Time
[DAY2] Day 2
[LKBK] Looking Back



================================
Prologue
==========================[PRLG]

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

0 wins
6 losses
2 'bye's

That was my European Championship in a nutshell. Never before have I done so badly at an event. I wouldn't mind if I had played badly but I didn't really misplay all that much over the weekend at all, I just got outsped and possibly made some bad side-deck choices. I also got smacked by some crazy hands that my opponents had. Regardless, I did bad and everybody knows it. Just like how the Threatening Roar misplay summed up my 2008, this event will sum up my 2009.

4 weeks later and I have a chance to redeem myself. In the meantime I win every local tournament I play in (including Limerick's Conclave, their biggest local every year) and begin to regain some of the confidence that I had lost in Lille. Now the time has come to really have a shot at making a recovery, at the UkayPro Championship in Manchester in what is essentially a Shonen Jump Championship (albeit without official Konami support).



================================
Crossing the Irish Sea
==========================[CRSS]


View Larger Map

I leave home at about 13.30 on Thursday afternoon and head into college to go online for a bit. After checking some things and chatting on Twitter Abdul asks me to do some final pieces of work for the UkayPro Championship (since I'm part of the organising committee) which I get finished before taking the bus to Dublin. I arrive at about 21.30 and head to a net cafĂ© for an hour since I would have a LOT of time to kill later on. Once I log on to Twitter I get a message from George Hook (well-known Irish television and radio personality) who suggests staying in one of the airport hotels for the night (I had commented on his page earlier). I take note of the suggestion as I arrive in Dublin Airport at 23.30. Once I found out that the hotels are €90 a night I was like "**** that I'll stay in the Airport". The next 6 hours consisted intense boredom and about 30 minutes sleep on a couch in the McDonalds.

Just before my flight departs I meet up with Cian, who was playing in a major event for the first time, and his girlfriend Sarah. They were travelling over to Manchester for the weekend anyways so Cian was going to play while he was there. Most of Team Feckin'YuGiOh was getting on the other Manchester flight on the opposite side of the airport (I had booked different flight times weeks before they sorted theirs) so the 3 of us got on and I managed to get a little bit of sleep on the 40 minute flight.



================================
FanBoy 3
==========================[FNB3]

Once we land Cian and Sarah head off while I pick up my stuff from baggage claim (having a case covered in cards and Upper Deck logos is very easy to identify by the way). As I order my train tickets I catch up with Lynam, Stephen, Petru and Barry and we head to Piccadilly Station. My hotel was just across the road while theirs was a few streets over so I go and try to check in. Check-in wasn't till 14.00 so I left my bag at reception and caught up with the other Irish again. The only thing that was open before 12.00 was a Subway so we went there for breakfast (I didn't eat till later on as I had stuff in Dublin before the flight) before they checked into Hotel Britannia. After a few games and a bit of 'chill time' I leave the group and head to FanBoy 3 once it had opened.

The first to arrive after I had were 'the Dutchies', Sven, Tristan, the two Mathijs' (Kujil and Schumann) and some others. Myself and Sven have a couple of games first (he was running his updated Nationals build while I was went with my newest Conclave variant) as more people arrive, most notably the rest of my roommates (Gehan Amaranayake, Chris Kirkham and Marc Durrant). The games go each way for a good while before we switch opponents. This time I'm playing Mathijs Kujil who was running Cat Synchro. After a few warm-up games we decide to get some proper testing done, first person to win 10 wins the match. They go this way and that (whoever went first would win usually) but he pulls through 10-6 in the end.

At this stage doubts begin to seep in as that was my first real test (with Lightsworn) against Cat Synchro. Stu and Dan show up so I have a bunch of games with them aswell (myself and Stu have some fun with the UkayPro members who weren't here, posting up that I was hospitalised from a drug overdose and so on). Ben Rogan shows up and trades me back 'Prince' (the card formerly known as Cyber Dragon), a card I traded away to somebody back in 2008 when I was last in Manchester. I have a few more games with people before a bunch of us head across the road for some pizza (I went for chocolate instead as I'm a very bad eater). I had met up with most of the UkayPro people by now (last time I played in Manchester I didn't know any of these guys) so we were all good friends already despite meeting up in person for the first time. The jokes fly around the place as Abdul goes on about baseball bat design (use your imagination) and I get stuck with the nickname 'Pohtayto Johnson' (including the forced typing of the accent) for the weekend.

We head back to FanBoy for some more Yu-Gi-Oh! and I'm feeling really nervous about the main event. Dan, Dave, Danderson and the rest of the Scottish help me out (many thanks) with my build and how I should play Lightsworn in a major event (I've only ran it at locals). An hour or so passes and the confidence begins to come back a little.



================================
The Night Before
==========================[TNBF]

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

A whole bunch of us (Myself, Abdul, Nelson, Gehan, Stu, Danderson, Kirkham, Durrant and one or two more) leave the area at about 22.30 and head back to Hotel International. We have a bit of banter before Abdul and a few others have to head to their hotel. I pick up my bag from reception and check into my room. It was a small enough room and I was staying with Kirkham (so none of my stuff would go 'missing' this time) which was pretty handy. Gehan and Durrant were in the other room and had the PS2 set up. They were already laying into each other in 'Capcom vs SNK 2' before we switch over to Soul Calibur where I have a bunch of games with everybody. Gehan was ranked #1 in the UK at one point so he knew his stuff (I've never seen somebody do so well with Ivy before). Still, for a guy that's never played the game outside of against the CPU I was doing pretty well and came close a bunch of times. Gehan had about 20 different fighting games with him so we tried them all before sharing various YGO stories and talking about the event the next day. Gehan was on the coverage team and Chris was judging so myself and Durrant (he was running Skill Drain) had a few games before I make changes to the deck (replacing Dark Armed Dragon with Chaos Sorcerer being the main one) and finally get to sleep at 03.30.



================================
Registration
==========================[RGST]

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

4 hours later I get up, steal 3 miniboxes of Corn Flakes from the kitchen and head down to the venue on Sackville Street (best name for a YGO location ever). I catch up with Justin who was planning on buying one of my European Championship playmats but he has to back out due to lack of funds. Then Alan Warnock comes up from behind with Adam Hussein and Daniel McCourt which was a great surprise as I didn't know that the Northern Irish lads were attending. Once I get in I register, pay nothing (since I did most of the PR work and some odd-jobs for event, including designing the Top 8 Playmats, which unfortunately didn't arrive on time) and head down to the vending area where I meet James and Jason for the first time. We have a quick chat before I go around looking for more people I've only met online. I bump into Kev and we joke some various online stuff before I catch up with Dan Lane again, who was playing against Steven Parkes. 'Pix' and I had a running bet on UkayPro regarding a certain thread and even though I won the bet I gave him a biscuit for his efforts, which Danderson quickly stole and shoved down his throat. (I never got the tin of Pringles I won in the end though, but it didn't matter as it was all for fun anyways).

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

One of the German players noticed my Dark Magician Girl playmat and wanted to trade for it. I declined but looked at his folder anyways only to see dozens of copies of the card staring back at me. Dave Duggan and Kevin Wong arrive to complete the Irish lineup. They couldn’t contact anybody the day before and missed out on the FanBoy sessions. I finally meet Vini, the Pangs and the rest of Team MfM again (we were all together during Euros) and we have a quick chat before I scout out more players I've only met online. I also get to meet Matt Bell (Head Judge, and the guy who introduced me to the Konami staff in Lille), Andy Cummings, Gareth Shaw (they judged Irish Nats, thanks inn advance for the pics in this report Gareth), Jake Shaw (well-known writer for TCGPlayer.com) and Paul Doherty before the event starts. 211 players had registered for the main event so there would be eight rounds of swiss, followed by a Top 16 cut-off. Here's the deck I went with, and I want to thank the Scottish again for all their help with the main, and my roommates for their help with the side:

Monsters: 24
2 Judgment Dragon
1 Chaos Sorcerer
1 Gorz the Emissary of Darkness
3 Lumina, Lightsworn Summoner
2 Wulf, Lightsworn Beast
2 Celestia, Lightsworn Angel
2 Lyla, Lightsworn Sorceress
1 Garoth, Lightsworn Warrior
1 Aurkus, Lightsworn Druid
1 Ryko, Lightsworn Hunter
3 Necro Gardna
3 Honest
1 Plaguespreader Zombie
1 Phantom of Chaos

Spells: 11
3 Charge of the Light Brigade
3 Solar Recharge
2 Monster Reincarnation
1 Heavy Storm
1 Monster Reborn
1 Brain Control

Traps: 7
2 Threatening Roar
2 Bottomless Trap Hole
1 Torrential Tribute
1 Crush Card Virus
1 Beckoning Light


Side: 15
2 Legendary Jujitsu Master
1 Cyber Dragon
1 Ehren, Lightsworn Monk
1 Aurkus, Lightsworn Druid
2 Book of Moon
2 Lightning Vortex
1 Mystical Space Typhoon
3 Royal Decree
1 Mirror Force
1 Bottomless Trap Hole

Extra: 15
2 Stardust Dragon
2 Dark Strike Fighter
1 Colossal Fighter
1 Red Dragon Archfiend
1 Thought Ruler Archfiend
1 Avenging Knight Parshath
1 Black Rose Dragon
1 Arcanite Magician
1 Goyo Guardian
1 Gaia Knight, the Force of Earth
1 Tempest Magician
1 Magical Android
1 Chimeratech Fortress Dragon



================================
Round 1, Table 34 vs Charlie Bagnall
================================
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lightsworn vs ??? Image and video hosting by TinyPic
==========================[RND1]

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

As the players get seated for the first round I notice that mine is missing. After Matt holds the player briefing and the round starts I notify him of the situation and wait. After 3 minutes I got the game win and after 10 I got the match. I'd have liked to play some cards but a win's a win and I've already done better than I did in Lille (as this technically wasn't a 'bye'. Funny story regarding that; at my first locals after Euros I got a 'bye' in the first round, meaning I got 2 tournament 'bye's in a row to go along with my 2 in the same event at Euros).


8000-8000
8000-0000 (3 minute penalty)

8000-8000
8000-0000 (10 minute penalty)

Game Record: 2-0
Match Record: 1-0



================================
Round 2, Table 9 vs Shane Bell
================================
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lightsworn vs Cat Synchro Image and video hosting by TinyPic
==========================[RND2]

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

After doing nothing in the last round I was still fresh as I went into this Cat Synchro matchup. The testing with Mathijs I did the day before would be of great assistance here. I take some early hits and sit behind as many Threatening Roars and Necro Gardnas as I can while setting myself up for the Judgment Dragon. The turning point in the first game was when I swung over his Dark Strike Fighter with Honest (on a Lumina) before dropping Judgment Dragon next turn (and milling a Wulf of the subsequent Charge I played). I would have won there if I had mained a Jain or not milled all my Luminas but nevertheless I swing big and feel safe with the Gardnas in grave and Honest in hand before taking the game next turn.

8000-8000
6400-8000 (Airbellum)
5000-8000
4600-8000 (Strike Fighter)
4600-7000 (Honest)
3600-7000 (Judgment Dragon)
3600-1900 (JD/Wulf)
3600-0000

Sided in:
3 Royal Decree
2 Book of Moon
1 Mystical Space Typhoon
1 Aurkus Lightsworn Druid

Sided out:
1 Gorz, the Emissary of Darkness
1 Wulf, Lightsworn Beast
1 Ryko, Lightsworn Hunter
1 Solar Recharge
1 Beckoning Light
2 Bottomless Trap Hole


Game 2 was a trickier affair, even though I opened with 2 Royal Decrees, Aurkus and a Phantom of Chaos. He starts to set himself up with some standard plays (MST'ing my first decree) before I hit him back with an Honest. I don't mill with my Aurkus as he flips Light-Imprisoning Mirror in the End Phase. Next turn he sets a Scapegoat and I End Phase my second Decree. I attack into the goats and he brings out an Arcanite in defence to pop my Decree and sets Royal Oppression. That leaves him with one card in-hand to my three and Aurkus. I draw and play the Phantom of Chaos I opened with. His head sank as that was my only real out to his field. I wipe the field and mill a Gardna and a Wulf in the End Phase with the Phantom. Next turn he summons Panther and tries to suicide with the Phantom, but I Gardna knowing that I could potentially top a Crush Card. Instead I top an Aurkus, copy Chaos Sorcerer to remove the Panther and press home my advantage for game over the next two turns with a topdecked Celestia finishing him off.

8000-8000
8000-6800 (Aurkus)
7000-6800 (Phantom of Chaos)
7000-5600 (Aurkus)
7000-3500 (Aurkus, Wulf)
7000-0000 (Celestia, Aurkus)

Game Record: 4-0
Match Record 2-0



================================
Round 3, Table 30 vs Stephen Rogers
================================
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lightsworn vs Lightsworn Image and video hosting by TinyPic
==========================[RND3]

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This was my first mirror-match of the day, which is good as I like Lightsworn mirrors, they're fun to play in. Since this kid was 2-0 he must have been pretty good and I found out how good when he played his first Charge, milling an SJC CCV (after enquiring about it I found out that he was the UK's Fortune Tour Dragon Duel Champion). To be fair, regardless of the title he was a really good player for his age, knowing the deck inside-out, never misplaying at all and had an impressive knowledge of the damage step. We both poke around with Honests for a bit before trying to set up some bigger plays (he survives my Crush Card as I can't capitalise). He drops the first Judgment Dragon as I'm still trying to draw/mill mine. I'm forced to stall out for the rest of the game as he keeps paying with the dragon, blowing up Gardnas and Roars along the way. With 5 cards in deck (7 in his) I take the risk, knowing my only out is Brain Control (Celestia in-hand and enough damage to Dark Strike). I play Solar Recharge, draw 2, mill 2 and realise the Brain is my last card. He finishes me off next turn. I show him the Brain Control and he acknowledges that I would have had game if I drew it.

8000-8000
8000-7000 (Honest)
7000-7000 (Honest)
4900-7000 (Honest)
4900-5900 (Honest)
3400-5900 (Ehren)
3400-4900 (JD)
3400-3900 (JD)
3400-2900 (JD)
3400-1900 (JD)
0000-1900 (JD, Lumina)

Sided in:
2 Lightning Vortex

Sided out:
1 Wulf, Lightsworn Beast
1 Ryko, Lightsworn Hunter


The second game swung over and back as we both had pretty horrible hands (I had 2 Judgment Dragons, but no Lightsworn or any milling power). He brings out the first Judgment Dragon again but loses out to Roar. Next turn I set a Gardna, which he runs over with JD before pocking for 1,200 with Aurkus. Same thing next turn as I drop Gorz after the hit to buy some time. They (it and the token, which was a 'Deck Thinning' tip card) didn't even last the turn as he hits me with Lightning Vortex, knowing I'm in bad shape. I manage to pull my way out of the situation by topping Phantom of Chaos. I Monster Reincarnate my Gorz, ditching my first Judgment Dragon, then copying it and clearing the field. Even though I milled with it in the End Phase I still didn't hit a Lightsworn. As this happens I begin to mount a comeback, attacking direct with a Lumina 3 times (milling only spells, traps and Gardnas). Once he gets rid of my Lumina though (Vortex) he bites back attacking with a Necro Gardna and a Lumina of his own over the next 2 turns. I dropped the Gorz again, but I can't remember how he killed it, most likely another Vortex. I kill his Gardna and we suicide Luminas next turn, both forced into topdecking live cards. I still only had 1-2 sworn in grave and was out of Gardnas. A few turns later he tops the Lumina he needs for the final amount of damage and wins the game. Despite his age, he was my strongest opponent of the day, which says a lot about his playing skill.

8000-8000
8000-7900 (Gardna > Aurkus)
8000-6900 (JD)
6800-6900 (Aurkus)
5600-6900 (Aurkus)
4300-6900
3300-6900 (Phantom)
3300-7500 (Android)
3300-6500 (Lumina)
3300-5500 (Lumina)
3300-4500 (Lumina)
2700-4500 (Gardna)
0000-4500 (Lumina, Wulf)

Game Record: 4-2
Match Record 2-1



================================
Round 4, Table 23 vs Matt Collins
================================
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lightsworn vs Lightsworn Image and video hosting by TinyPic
==========================[RND4]

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Gehan had promised me a feature match for some stage during the day and after taking the loss last round it had to be now unless I went on a winning streak. I was also against Matt Collins, another member of staff on the UkayPro forum so it seemed appropriate at UkayPro Championship to have a staff battle featured. You can read the match here, but I'll post some quick thoughts.

He had a great opening in this first game, and I was on the back foot right away. Towards the end I was an Honest away from losing so maybe I shouldn't have attacked his Wulf with Colossal. Maybe I could have gotten Avenging Knight Parshath instead, but with his Gardna in grave and me close to decking out (2 cards I believe, with all my outs gone) I was going to lose anyway.

8000-8000
8000-6900 (Wulf > Lumina)
3800-6900 (Wulf, Wulf)
3800-5200 (Honest)
1700-5200 (Honest)
0000-5200 (Honest)

Sided in:
2 Lightning Vortex

Sided out:
1 Wulf, Lightsworn Beast
1 Ryko, Lightsworn Hunter


The second game was just a train-wreck as I couldn't mount any sort of offensive until it was far too late. With 9 cards left in deck time was called and I had to try something to get back in it. Unfortunately he had milled enough Gardnas to survive and had the Vortex to make sure he wouldn't take the 7,500 damage I needed to do next turn. Still, it was a good game to play in and very relaxed, we even had lunch mid-game (still playing obviously, no stalling here) as I jokingly bribed him with a biscuit and 'chained' another one to my Threatening Roar.

8000-8000
4600-8000 (Wulf, Celestia)
3600-8000 (JD)
2600-8000 (Lumina)
1600-8000 (Lumina)
---TIME---
0600-8000 (JD)
0000-8000

Game Record: 4-4
Match Record 2-2



================================
Round 5, Table 38 vs Ryan Pang
================================
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lightsworn vs Lightsworn Image and video hosting by TinyPic
==========================[RND5]

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

As I got paired up with Ryan, Kevin Wong was on the feature match table with Nathan (Ryan's brother, and the current UK National Champion) he was 4-0 with a retro anti-meta deck that has to be seen to be believed. You can read all about that matchup here, and you should as it was one of the most interesting games I've heard about in a long time. Anyways, myself and Ryan were happy to be playing another as Stafford joked about this table set (32-38) being 'the 2-2 crew' (he was playing on Table 34 I believe). Everything was pretty relaxed as we poke fun at the tokens I brought today ('Deck Thinning' and 'Strategically Fill your Graveyard' tip cards). As we play we start predicting every card that gets milled (funnily enough when we said we'd mill JDs we did). I manage to suicide a Lumina with 'Deck Thinning' halfway through. The game goes over and back until I top a JD (which he called out the turn prior) and take the win.

8000-8000
7200-8000 (Brain)
7200-5700 (Celestia)
5350-5700 (Garoth)
5350-4850 (Gorz > Garoth)
5350-3150 (Lyla)
5350-2150 (Lumina)
4350-0000 (Judgment Dragon)

During the course of the game I played a Lightning Vortex that I forgot to side out and only noticed when I drew it (sorry Ryan, should have told you about it). Upon siding for game 2 I realise that my side-deck was 13 cards as I had forgot to take out both Vortexes so I just took out 2 cards and got on with it.

Sided out:
1 Wulf, Lightsworn Beast
1 Ryko, Lightsworn Hunter


The second game started off as normal with both of us setting up till I hit a Celestia and top into a second. I Beckoning to go for a third, making a bad read as CCV wipes me clean (thought he had Roar/Ryko down) and he presses home the advantage. Nothing I could really do after CCV, and it was a standard LS mirror beforehand.

8000-8000
8000-7000 (Lumina)
8000-6000 (Lumina)
6700-6000 (Celestia)
4300-6000
4300-5600 (Gorz > Celestia)
2200-5600 (Wulf)
0600-5600 (Ehren)
0000-5600

As Game 2 finished, there were only about 5 minutes left in the round so I sided into all the stalling power I could in an attempt to snatch the win once we went to End of Match Procedure.

Sided in:
2 Legendary Jujitsu Master
1 Ehren, Lightsworn Monk
2 Book of Moon
1 Mirror Force
1 Bottomless Trap Hole

Sided out:
1 Gorz the Emissary of Darkness
1 Chaos Sorcerer
1 Aurkus, Lightsworn Druid
1 Wulf, Lightsworn Beast
1 Phantom of Chaos
1 Solar Recharge
1 Beckoning Light


I open up with a Necro Gardna and a Book of Moon, setting both. Ryan summons Aurkus, sets a backrow and ends, milling 2 as time is called. I've got 2 turns to win/survive and pass my first. For some reason Ryan attacks into my Gardna (probably doesn’t have the Honest/Gardna/Roar and doesn't want to lose on my next turn if I top a bigger monster) and takes 100 damage. I Main Phase 2 he summons Plaguespreader Zombie and can either go into Magical Android or Dark Strike Fighter for a potential game win but I have the Book that shuts him down. I draw, end and win the game, nothing can be done by him to redress the balance. Nothing can really be done about the Lightning Vortex now, and I should have said something during the match. It was an honest mistake, one that I should pay great attention to in future.

8000-8000
---TIME---
8000-7900 (Gardna > Aurkus)

Game Record: 6-5
Match Record 3-2



================================
Round 6, Table 21 vs Tony Hong
================================
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lightsworn vs Debris Plant Drain Image and video hosting by TinyPic
==========================[RND6]

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I had no idea what I was up against, and once I got hit with an Exiled Force I was even more confused. The Lonefire>Lonefire>Lonefire>Tytannial gave it away though as I took the first damage of the game. I hit him back with Crush Card, but his hand was one that I was forced to play around, as he had Creature Swap and Skill Drain, amongst other things. My hand wasn't too great either so he got back into the game and managed to repel everything I threw at him.

8000-8000
5200-8000 (Tytannial)
4400-8000 (Brain)
3400-8000
1500-8000 (Trooper)
0000-8000

Sided in:
2 Legendary Jujitsu Master
2 Book of Moon
2 Lightning Vortex
2 Royal Decree

Sided out:
1 Gorz the Emissary of Darkness
2 Wulf, Lightsworn Beast
1 Ryko, Lightsworn Hunter
1 Aurkus, Lightsworn Druid
1 Solar Recharge
2 Threatening Roar


I had a pretty sloppy hand for the second game, but it was enough to force a topdecking war (I did manage to Goyo over a Barbaros though during this). I top a Bottomless and use it on the Tytannial that comes out via Lonefires. I summon a monster to attack, but he tops an Exiled Force to get rid of it. As we drew more cards it kept going like this until he finishes me off with a properly summoned Barbaros, which wiped my field in spectacular fashion. Knowing I couldn't Top 16 my aim now was for Top 64.

8000-8000
6100-8000 (Barbaros)
6100-7100 (Goyo > Barbaros)
5300-7100 (Brain)
5300-6100 (Lumina)
5300-4700
3400-4700 (Gorz)
2400-4700 (Sangan)
1400-4700 (Sangan)
0000-4700 (Barbaros)

Game Record: 6-7
Match Record 3-3



================================
Round 7, Table 51 vs Tristan Reichman
================================
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lightsworn vs Salvosworn Image and video hosting by TinyPic
==========================[RND7]

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

For the seventh round I get one of 'the Dutchies'. I knew Tristain from DuelistGroundz and we meet up at Euros 4 weeks ago so this was going to be a fun game. Unfortunately it came down to 'He draws bad, I draw bad, he draws bad' as the game ended quite quickly. The only notable thing about it all was when I played Charge, he asked me to search Wulf, which I did and milled it via Plaguespreader combos. Other than that, wasn't really much of a game as we just ran over each other with little to no resistance.

8000-8000
8000-7800 (Aurkus > Lumina)
8000-6600 (Honest)
8000-3750 (Lumina, Garoth)
7350-3750
7350-0000

Sided in:
1 Lightning Vortex
1 Cyber Dragon

Sided out:
1 Wulf, Lightsworn Beast
1 Ryko, Lightsworn Hunter


8000-8000
7000-8000 (Lumina)
3900-8000 (Lumina, Wulf)
0000-8000

Sided in:
1 Lightning Vortex

Sided out:
1 Cyber Dragon


8000-8000
8000-5200 (Goyo)
8000-4400 (Brain)
8000-2300 (Wulf)
8000-0000

Game Record: 8-8
Match Record 4-3



================================
Round 8, Table 47 vs Adam Wilkinson
================================
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lightsworn vs Blackwing Image and video hosting by TinyPic
==========================[RND8]

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I was pretty happy with the 4-3 so far, considering how this format is and how bad I did at Euros. Knowing that I can finish with at least an even result took a load off my mind so I just played this game out with a little less intensity. Still, I spilled my deck when shuffling it (new sleeves were very slippery) so my opponent knew I was running sworn. Once I saw a Shura I realised what I was up against and was pleased. I usually do pretty well against Blackwing since they haven't got much variety in them and need pretty good hands to keep up with Lightsworn. He didn't get those hands though as I went on the offensive from the off, knocking him down to 0 fairly quickly.

8000-8000
8000-7000 (Lumina)
8000-4000
8000-2900 (Wulf)
5200-2900 (Goyo)
5200-0000

Sided in:
1 Aurkus, Lightsworn Druid
2 Book of Moon
2 Lightning Vortex
1 Bottomless Trap Hole
1 Mirror Force

Sided out:
1 Gorz the Emissary of Darkness
2 Wulf, Lightsworn Beast
1 Ryko, Lightsworn Hunter
1 Solar Recharge
2 Threatening Roar


The way I approach siding for Blackwings is simple: If they lose their normal summon, they lose the game; so I sided in the Bottomless and Books, along with Mirror Force and the Vortexes. This game was a little more challenging (I got hit by CCV), but I just concentrate on milling and poking for damage. He comes back with a Torrential Tribute when I push for game and hits me with his Goyo, which I take, not flipping my Mirror Force. Next turn I drop a Lumina in an attempt to mill some more Gardnas just to ensure my safety. He senses blood and goes all-out dropping most of his hand only to run into the Mirror, losing Goyo, 2 Boras and a Gale. Two turns later, when he looked most vulnerable (only Bora and Whirlwind on field) I pounced, getting back two Judgment Dragons and two Honest with my Beckoning. I drop both dragons instead of clearing the field (just incase he had Gorz) and attack into his Bora, dropping both Honest to guarantee the game.

8000-8000
7950-8000
6200-8000
3200-6300 (Lyla)
6200-5500 (Brain)
4500-5500 (Lyla)
4500-0000 (Honest, JD)

Final Game Record: 10-8
Final Match Record 5-3



Game Record: 8-8
Match Record 4-3



================================
The Playoffs
==========================[PLOF]

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

As we waited for the standings I checked in with the rest of Team Feckin'YuGiOh. Adam Hussein was 7-1, Lynam was on 6-2 with a chance of finishing in Top 16, and Kevin Wong was on 5-3, losing his last 3 games. The others were around the same mark, except for Duggan (3-5), Cian (3-5) and Petru (dropped). Cian did pretty well considering this was his first ever big event (he only started playing in tournaments a few months ago) and Kevin was the hero of the day for his giant killing acts (including killing a Judgment Dragon with Time Wizard!). The standings go up and the top of the first page read like this:

[01] {NI} Adam Hussein
[02] {UK} Dan Nelson
[03] {DE} Merlin Schumacher
[04] {DE} Michael Igor
[05] {UK} Luke Smythe
[06] {UK} Nathan Pang
[07] {UK} Rick Cherry
[08] {UK} Trent Graham
[09] {NL} Sven Schuurhuis
[10] {UK} Clive Stevenson
[11] {UK} Abid Arshad
[12] {UK} Andrew Lam
[13] {NL} Mathijs Kujil
[14] {UK} Charlie Root
[15] {UK} Jonathan Nghiem
[16] {UK} Simon Ho

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lynam ended up on 22nd, Wong was in the Top 32, Harrison-Daly finished 63rd and I finished 68th, losing out on Top 64 by tiebreakers (there were about 70 players on 5-3). As the Top 16 were playing off to win the mats I designed, I did a bit of research to find out who topped, what they were running and so on. I also joined the rest of the UkayPro Forum staff for a group photo (up above) among other things. After the Top 16 was finished we had to play the rest of the event in FanBoy 3 as the area was due to be shut at 21.00. The Top 8 playmat design was revealed to those who were left to witness the finals as Abid Arshad defeated Simon Ho to become the champion.



================================
Hang-out time.
==========================[HNGO]


(Thanks for the video link Suzie)

After the event finished people began to split up and head back to their hotels and so on. I caught up with Matt Bell in FanBoy and we discussed the event and various other issues. I also had a good chat with Abdul since this weekend was the first time we met and it was good to have a chat with my only 'superior' on the forum. He was very happy with how the event went and told me he learned a lot about organising things like this, something which will make the next UkayPro Championship even better. We started stringing ideas for that event together right away (nothing concrete, just things we'd like to do) before he had to head home. There were about ten of us left in FanBoy so I brought them all back to the hotel for a massive gaming session. How we managed to fit seventeen (Myself, Gehan, Kirkham, Marc, Suzie, Kris, Wasin, Clive, Si, Abid, Jake, Matt, Lammy, Dan, Dave and 2 others I can't remember right now) into Gehan's room I'll never know. After an hour or so I left with Abid, Jake and the rest of their roommates to head to their hotel, where we played some games and chilled out till 4.30. I headed back to the International alone and got some sleep.



================================
Day 2
==========================[DAY2]

At about 11.30 I got up, stole some more Corn Flakes and headed to FanBoy where there was a Gold Series tournament taking place. After buying some cards for a friend the day before I was short on cash and I needed to convert more Euros into Sterling so I left again and found a bank that was open on a Sunday. I also checked the train times as I had an early flight home the next day. I come back and play in the event, going 2-3, losing two mirror-matches (to Lynam and Jake) and my final round to Mathijs Schumann's awesome Dark World deck. You haven't lost till you've been hit with with CCV, DDV and Mind Crush all on the same turn. I get in a few games with it after my loss, as does Simon Ho, and I take down the decklist to post on this blog (I told him to replace Card Trooper with Shiba-Warrior so that he can Strike Fighter more often):

Monsters: 21
3 Goldd, Wu-Lord of Dark World
3 Sillva, Warlord of Dark World
1 Gorz the Emissary of Darkness
2 Broww, Huntsman of Dark World
3 Giant Rat
3 Injection Fairy Lily
1 Shiba-Warrior Taro
1 Sangan
1 Neo-Spacian Grand Mole
1 Morphing Jar
1 Plaguespreader Zombie
1 Spirit Reaper

Spells: 13
3 Dark World Lightning
2 Dark World Dealings
2 Allure of Darkness
1 Card Destruction
1 Monster Reborn
1 Creature Swap
1 Card of Safe Return
1 Giant Trunade
1 Heavy Storm

Traps: 9
2 Threatening Roar
2 Mind Crush
1 Trap Dustshoot
1 Crush Card Virus
1 Deck Devastation Virus
1 Mirror Force
1 Torrential Tribute

After this myself and Simon play some shared deck games (where both players share the same deck and graveyard) with Cat Synchro and Lightsworn (Lightsworn was just a deckout race) before I head back to the hotel to pack up. My flight wasn't till 7.50 the next morning but I wanted to get this out of the way so I can have some fun for the rest of the night. Once I got that out of the way and lay down for a bit I headed into the next room for some gaming action. Simon, Lammy and Trent had joined the four of us who were already staying as Gehan and Marc were going at it in Capcom vs SNK again.

We switch over to Soul Calibur where I go off against Simon. First game I pick Siegfried and he goes with Astaroth. The result: Ring-Out, Ring-Out, Ring-Out. Next game was more of the same from Mister Ho. After a few more battles where I smash him with some combos and Ring-Outs of my own Gehan suggests a Ring-Out match; Infinite Health, Infinite HP, battle on the smallest stage in the game. We're up for it and hilarity ensues as battle styles change completely and we try and get sneaky. Gehan takes the pad for a few games and utterly humiliates Simon before we get back to proper fights. I tell him I'll give him a fiver if he can beat me via HP and he ignores, trying to ring me out again. Funnily enough, he brings me down to 5% health while still on 100% and I'm like "**** this you're getting none of my money!", unleashing combo after combo to put him in his place. After this he has to head home (it was 1.30) so I accompany him to Piccadilly Station where he got his lift.

I head back and we watch the Street Fighter II animated movie. Since this weekend was my first experience with Street Fighter (I grew up with Tekken and moved to Soul Calibur after it) Gehan though it was appropriate that I watch this movie as an introduction. Awesome movie too, M. Bison had the best quote lines ever. Once that was done myself and Lammy have a few games of YGO with his Ultimate Deck (all cards were Ultimate Rare) before I have to head off. We say our good-byes and I head to the station to catch the 5.00 train, followed by the plane home.


================================
Looking Back
==========================[LKBK]

Looking back at it all now, it was an awesome weekend. This event was one made by the players, for the players, and it was a great success. I redeemed myself after my European disaster and got to meet up with almost everybody I knew from the forum (It's a shame that Mush, Kenshin, Jesus and Duncan didn't come down as I was looking forward to chatting to them). The time outside of the event was awesome as we all got on well, and those games of Soul Calibur towards the end were epic. As for the deck; if I were to run it again I'd main Lightning Vortex, the card was so good throughout the weekend for both me and my opponents. I probably won't run it again though, as the format has ended for me with the passing of this weekend. For the next month I'll try to mess about with a few (gasp!) original decks and design some more mats. I also have to get in touch with Kenny about doing PR work for the Irish Open, which has an (almost) confirmed date of Sunday, September the 6th. There was great interest in the event from everybody in Manchester and I hope they all come over. Till then, I'll be online.

Hope to chat to you all soon.

-PJ


[FeckinYuGiOh] [UkayPro] [DuelistGroundz] [Pojo]
_____________________________________________________________________
[35008] >>> [37042]

free counters