2010 UK/Irish Nationals Report : The Deck | The Irish Duelist

2010 UK/Irish Nationals Report : The Deck



Here is the decklist I used for the main event. Ever since the 75th SHONEN JUMP Championship ended, I was unsure of what deck I should use for Nationals, as I wasn't feeling very confident in anything I had. Then The Shining Darkness Sneak Peek came along and I was able to get a hold of 2 XX-Saber Darksoul. Straight away after the event I went onto eBay and bought everything else I needed for the X-Saber Deck, Emmersblades, Faultrolls, the lot. As I waited for the cards to arrive, I put a Cat Synchro deck together and ran it at locals for a few weeks. By the time the cards arrived I was torn between both decks, not knowing which to go with.

I jumped over and back between both decks before testing out my final Cat Synchro build on the Thursday before Nationals against Kieran Waters, one of my local opponents, who was running something similar to Quickdraw. Despite his deck being slightly inferior to what I was expecting to play against (no offence Kieran, still a good deck all the same), I was struggling to keep up, and to get out of tricky situations. In the end, I decided to give the deck one last go on Friday night, against the X-Saber deck I put together, with one of my room-mates (J.A.C.K.) as my opponent. After 3 swift defeats I knew which deck was the right option, and started to have a few games with the Sabers against one of my other room-mates (Crehan and his Blackwings). I played quite badly with the deck in the first 2-3 games, as I'd never used Sabers before, but eventually everything clicked and the combos became more visible. I spent the rest of the night (till 2.30am) with the deck laid out on the bed in a similar fashion to the photos below, just looking at everything and how it all works together, and I felt happy enough with the card choices at the time.







Monsters:
3 X-Saber Airbellum
3 XX-Saber Darksoul
3 XX-Saber Faultroll
2 D.D. Crow
2 XX-Saber Boggart Knight
2 XX-Saber Emmersblade
2 XX-Saber Fulhelmknight
1 Morphing Jar
1 Rescue Cat
1 X-Saber Pashuul

Spells:
2 Book of Moon
1 Brain Control
1 Cold Wave
1 Giant Trunade
1 Heavy Storm
1 Mind Control
1 My Body as a Shield
1 Mystical Space Typhoon

Traps:
2 Bottomless Trap Hole
2 Dust Tornado
2 Gottoms' Emergency Call
1 Call of the Haunted
1 Mirror Force
1 Saber Hole
1 Solemn Judgment
1 Starlight Road

Extra Deck:
1 Chimeratech Fortress Dragon
1 Mist Wurm
2 XX-Saber Gottoms
1 Colossal Fighter
1 Stardust Dragon
1 Thought Ruler Archfiend
1 Black Rose Dragon
1 X-Saber Urbellum
1 Brionac, Dragon of the Ice Barrier
1 Goyo Guardian
2 XX-Saber Hyunlei
1 Ally of Justice Catastor
1 Magical Android

Side Deck:
2 Consecrated Light
2 Cyber Dragon
1 D.D. Crow
1 Gorz the Emissary of Darkness
1 Saber Slash
1 Soul Release
2 System Down
1 Crevice into the Different Dimension
1 Gottoms' Emergency Call
1 Pulling the Rug
1 Swallow Flip
1 Torrential Tribute


Before going on about the deck I want to thank DDSpade (who finished in the Top 32 at the 75th SJC) for sending me on the initial list, and everybody on Facebook and DuelistGroundz who (directly or indirectly) helped me out with X-Sabers in general and how they functioned. As for the mian deck, Spade sent me a list of 39 cards, with 3 options for the 40th; a 3rd Fulhelmknight, 2nd Saber Hole or a singla Pashuul. He preferred the 3rd Fulhelm since it's such an amazing card, but I ended up going with the Pashuul, as I have a preference for Level 8 Synchros above all others in my Extra Deck (I believe that every good deck should be able to bring out LV8s). The rest of the monster lineup is pretty standard, with some space made for the 2 D.D. Crow in the main, which I felt would be vital over the course of the weekend (I was siding into the 3rd Crow in almost every match in fact).

The Spells and traps are pretty standard too, and if I was building the deck from scratch I probably would have went with the same choices, as I beleive that an aggressive deck like Sabers needs a lot of Spell/Trap removal to ensure that its big pushes go through (Cold Wave and Trunade were my big swing cards in the event). The only debatable decision in the Trap lineup is the inclusion of Starlight Road over Torrential Tribute. This was the most difficult decision in the entire deck and looking back I feel that I made the wrong call. Torrential is such a good card in this format, as it shuts down everything, but there was something about Starlight Road that made me want to play it. I'm guessing it was the added protection from opposing power cards, and the manner in which people play them (my recent Great Debate article on Road suggests that you still use your power cards regardless of Road's existence) was reason enough for me to main Road, but if I were to build the deck again I'd most certainly go with Torrential Tribute.

The Extra Deck is bog standard, there's no real need to explain it. 2 of the major Saber Synchros, 1 of everything else for a toolbox, and a lone Fortress for the Machina/Gadget Matchup. The Extra Deck never let me down as I always had whatever Synchro I needed. The Side Deck is my greates weakness, as it highlights the fact that I haven't done much testing. I'm admittedly quite weak when it comes to actual side-decking, since I don't get to play much Yu-Gi-Oh! outside of my locals at The Gathering in Limerick every Saturday, so it's built largely off of theory (Theory-Oh!) and not actual playing results. Most cards are self explanatory though; the Cybers and Downs are there for Machina/Gadget, Consecrateds for Infernity/Blackwing and Torrential because I couldn't fit it in the main and it's such a good card. From there we have the Graveyard hate. Unfortunately, I didn't have 3 copies of Crevice into the Different Dimension so I had to make do with the 1 and a Soul Release (+3rd Crow). Gorz was a random reliable and Rug was there for Monarchs. Saber Slash was one of those 'I get the feeling that I will need it' cards and Swallow Flip was for Quickdraw to kill the Drill Warrior loop. To be fair the Side is a mess overall and you can tell that it was put together last minute.

To be prefectly honest, I'm happy with my overall result at Nationals, given how inexperienced I was with the deck beforehand, and I was learning more about it with every round that passed. I did well considering all of this, and that I was playing against players who knew how to stop Sabers as well. The deck needs a lot of work (possibly an overhaul) before Conclave but now that I know what I'm doing (hopefully!), thing will be easier.