Yu-Gi-Oh! as Art? | The Irish Duelist

Yu-Gi-Oh! as Art?



During my time at Limerick School of Art and Design I focused most of my work on my interest in games and design, and it was during this period that I started playing the Yu-Gi-Oh! Trading Card Game again. Once I started to get more involved in the game I began to base my main studio work around it.

This started with The Irish Duelist, a personal blog I set up to post my thoughts and theories on the game. I didn't know it at the time, but The Irish Duelist would go on to become one of the most popular Yu-Gi-Oh! blogs in the world, viewed in over 150 countries with close to 400,000 hits and rising. The blog offered me great opportunities to work with Konami and eventually become a member of their coverage team for the game's largest European events.

For my final year project I wanted to reflect back on what could become the pivotal moment in my work and my life, the creation and development of The Irish Duelist, so I produced a brief documentary-style series of videos profiling the different aspects of the game. This was done through a mixture of kinetic typography, live action, digital painting and audio recordings, making use of several different applications and resources.

The final piece was displayed on 4 separate video screens, all playing repeatedly and simultaneously. The mixture of sounds represented the wide reaches of Yu-Gi-Oh! in terms of its variety, and viewers could alter the volume levels of each individual video to focus attention where they wanted, so as to highlight the interactivity of the game itself.