Opening Big: Discussing YGO's biggest Turn 1s. | The Irish Duelist

Opening Big: Discussing YGO's biggest Turn 1s.


Jason Grabher-Meyer's posted up an interesting article over at TCGPlayer about the importance of Turn 1 in Duels these days, and it's well worth a read, check it out (snippet blow):

One of the big points that kept coming up at YCS Charlotte was the seemingly-heightened importance of the coin flip in this new format. On one level, it didn't seem to make sense: after all, going first in Yu-Gi-Oh! has always been good, right? We all know that: no surprises there. Was anything really different, or was it just the usual bowl of sour grapes? And if it was the latter, why were resilient, seasoned veterans who were actually on their way to seats in the Top 32, bringing it up now? All of the veteran Duelists who were mentioning this to me at Charlotte had suffered far worse beats than a simple coin flip in their Dueling careers. Working out of the second-to-play position was old hat for these guys.

I couldn't put my finger on it. Try as I might, I left the weekend with the same vague impression: that somehow, going first was a bigger deal than it was before. It took me a while to figure it out, but a week and a half later I think I've wrapped my head around it. For me, the answer lies in an element of deck construction that seems to've been a tad underrated over the past couple years: opening turns.